Monday, July 4, 2011

You're a Fraud!!!!

When I was a kid talking about baseball with my grandfather, he helped instill a love of the game by telling me stories about his favorite player Babe Ruth.  I remember going to Mets games with him, my mother and brothers and seeing my favorite player Keith Hernandez.  Watching the Mets in the 80's was a treat for a growing little boy, but they only won a single World Series. They got close in 84, 85, 87 and lost the NLCS in 88.  Even in their Championship 1986 season, the Mets had to battle.  As I got older, I added other teams to my passion.  My brother Dan's video yearbook called "Poised For Glory" about the division winning 89-90 New York Rangers and watching Dan Marino eventually turned me in a Dolphins' fan.  I know, weird, but true.  I watched my teams winning only two championship and lose COUNTLESS games.  I think it showed me how to love my team and made me a true fan of my teams.  However, there are signs of "Fraud fans".  If you are one of these, please change your ways.
Walking around Citifield yesterday, I was disgusted at seeing the many Yankee fans with names on the back of their jerseys.  Really? Have you ever seen Derek Jeter wear a uniform with his name on it?  Or is it that you need to let people know who wears number 2 on the Yankees?  The worst part is that it doesn't stop there.  I saw fans with Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio and Mantle.  The first thing a child should know when becoming a Yankee fan is their history.  If they don't know who wore #3, they deserve a slap. That would be like not knowing who was the first president of the United States. It's inconceivable!  The best part is that there are "die hard" fans that don't know who Ron Guidry is or that Elston Howard was the first African American player to play for the Yankees.  Honor your history!!!!
I wish the were alone, but they're not.  Front runners aren't just Yankee fans.  They can go to any team.  In 1999, I actually was present when a guy tried to cheer on the Mets with an "M-E-T-S" chant.  He was heckled down for being a moron.  People should honor their teams and be true fans.  Regardless of the records, stand by your team.  Don't ever do this!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment